search
top

History

Arcata Christian School was founded as a ministry of Arcata First Baptist Church (www. arcatafbc.org) in September of 1973. The school expanded grade offerings over the years, including a high school program and preschool program for three years in the 1980’s. Due to increasing enrollment, the school required additional space and utilized classroom space at the Lutheran Church of Arcata, Bloomfield School, Church of the Light in McKinleyville, and Trinity Baptist Church.

¬†With the dramatic reduction in timber and fishing industry and resulting loss of jobs the area has seen a dramatic reduction in the number of school aged children. This has impacted both public and private schools in the area. In the 1990’s ACS consolidated our split campus operation and returned to the Arcata First Baptist site at 1700 Union Street. This allowed the ACS community an opportunity to support the building of new classrooms and beautiful gymnasium. What is called the “Faith Adventure Building” was completed in 2000.

Over 1,000 students have attended ACS. The school joined the Western Association of Christian Schools (WASC) in 1978. The WACS became an international organization and is now known as the Association of Christian Schools International. Arcata Christian School is located in ACSI District 4. Our principal, Ron Wunner is currently ACSI District 4 representative in the California-Nevada Region.

Since the school’s founding it has been blessed by the prayers and financial support of the Arcata First Baptist Church congregation and leadership. Of special note is the support and encourage of Dr. Harold Jackson (deceased) whose wisdom and example are a part of the foundation of the school ministry. The school now offers Preschool through 8th grade with an afterschool program.

ACS has an excellent reputation in the local educational community and our students have excelled in local high schools. Please see alumni page for more information regarding our graduates.

top